Jack Merritt

Image copyright
Other

Image caption

Jack Merritt one of two people killed was described by his father as a “beautiful spirit”

A man who stabbed two people to death and wounded three others in a “terror-related” attack was shot dead by police on London Bridge after he was held down by members of the public.

The suspect, Usman Khan, 28, had been released from jail on licence in 2018, half way through a 16-year sentence for terrorism offences.

One of the victims has been named as Jack Merritt, who studied law at the University of Manchester before going to Cambridge to continue his studies.

The other fatality was a woman, according to the Met Police.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionVideo footage shows moment London Bridge attacker was apprehended

The victims

Jack Merritt was a coordinator of a prisoner rehabilitation conference being held on Friday afternoon at Fishmongers’ Hall, at the north end of London Bridge.

Based at Cambridge University, he helped run its Learning Together course for prisoners and students to study together, with the aim of reducing re-offending.

Mr Merritt had a “deep commitment” to this, according to people who worked with him.

A church vigil was held for him in Cambridge on Saturday.

His father David Merritt said his son was “a beautiful spirit who always took the side of the underdog”.

Image copyright
Geograph/N Chadwick

Image caption

Fishmongers Hall, below London Bridge

What happened?

Khan’s attack began at 13:58 GMT inside Fishmongers’ Hall before continuing on to London Bridge.

It is understood others at the conference tried to stop him, giving chase onto the bridge.

Two men can be seen in a video holding the attacker back using a whale tusk, seized from a wall mount inside the hall, and a fire extinguisher spray, before others stepped in to pin him down.

One man is seen walking away holding a large knife they had retrieved. British Transport Police said later he was a plain clothes officer.

The people holding Khan down were moved away by police. He was wearing a hoax explosive device under his jacket. He was then shot.

The Met’s assistant commissioner said the explosive vest looked “very convincing”.

What do we know about the attacker?

Image copyright
West Midlands Police

Image caption

Usman Khan, 28, was jailed in 2012 over a plot to blow up the London Stock Exchange

Mr Basu said Khan was released from jail in December 2018.

He had been convicted in 2012 after plotting with a group from Stoke-on-Trent, London and Cardiff.

They discussed attacking the London Stock Exchange and pubs in Stoke, and setting up a jihadist training camp in Pakistan.

Image caption

Usman Khan was photographed in 2008

One of the conditions of his release was that he should wear an electronic tag.

He also had to take part in the government’s desistance and disengagement programme, the purpose of which is the rehabilitation of people who have been involved in terrorism. The Parole Board said it had no involvement in his release from jail.

Usman Khan had spent years preaching in Stoke and had links to the banned organisation al-Muhajiroun.

Image copyright
West Midlands Police

Image caption

Usman Khan (fourth from the left), pictured in Roath Park, Cardiff on 7 November 2010

What is happening now?

An urgent review of the licence conditions of people jailed for terror offences has been launched by the Ministry of Justice (MoJ).

It confirmed the number of offenders convicted of terrorism offences who are currently under supervision in the community is 74.

Prayers have been said at Southwark Cathedral for the two people killed.

The Dean, the Very Revd Andrew Nunn, said the incident had brought back memories of the 2017 attack.

Image caption

A church service at Southwark Cathedral in London offered prayers for the victims of Friday’s attack

Officers have been carrying out two searches; in Stafford where Khan is believed to have lived, and in Stoke-on-Trent.

After leaving prison Khan initially lived at an “approved premises” on Wolverhampton Road, Stafford.

The Met appealed for people who attended the conference, called Learning Together, at Fishmongers’ Hall to contact them.

Mr Basu said police were going through at least 500 images and videos sent to them.

Image caption

Officers removed items from the house in Stafford

The Met Police has increased patrols across London as a result of the attack.

The three wounded people remain in hospital. NHS England said two were now “stable” and the third person had less serious injuries.

The Queen sent “thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathies to all those who have lost loved ones” on behalf of herself and Prince Philip.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Large areas of London Bridge remain cordoned off

boiler installations Ongar

Source link

Comments 0

Leave a Comment